Monday, July 19, 2010

Farm Wife Anniversary

My husband & I celebrated our anniversary this last week. Several of my friends sent us well wishes via the internet and suggestions on how we should celebrate. The most common suggestion was that we should take the day off & go out to eat at a nice restaurant. Sounded good to me; only one problem...we're farmers. Taking the day off just wasn't gonna happen on that particular day. Just like we didn't get to do anything on Father's Day because we spent the day working with a cow that was having trouble calving (both cow & calf are doing great).

While I'm not suggesting that farmers never take a day off, I will have to say that we don't always get to schedule those days off like we might like. We had several things going on and not enough help to cover all the chores around the farm. It's okay, we'll just go out to dinner another time.

So what did my dearest get me? Honestly, we were both so busy that we didn't get each other anything. I have a few friends that would be furious with their husband if they didn't get something, but not me. Over the last few years we've gotten "practical" about gift-giving. In the many years I've received: a tractor on Mother's Day, a new pump for the slurry store for Christmas, a load of lime for Valentine's Day, a used chore truck for a birthday and my personal favorite...a manure scraper for an anniversary (I actually picked that one out myself). While some of my friends have been shocked by some of these "gifts", my farm-friendly pals have laughed and actually shared similar stories of "gifts". In all fairness, I have received flowers, jewelry and the like over the years, so please don't think my hubby is a bad person.

We'll find a day sometime soon when things are a little less hectic and have dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Maybe I can get another manure scraper the next time the dairy supply truck comes (I wore the old one out). In the meantime, we'll keep putting the care of our cows first. After all, that's what being a farm wife is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Anniversary! You know even though I'm not a farmer I ask for household stuff (mostly cooking related) for my gifts all the time and Hubby asks for regular tools (saws, wrenches, etc.) all the time too. Yes they are all things to do work with, but it makes our work easier/more fun (sometimes) when we have those new tools or supplies. Although, I may have to draw a line on the manure scraper LOL!

    ReplyDelete