Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Calves, Clover...& Baseball?

Living on a farm can be very hectic & time consuming.  Every now and then, chores get done on time without any major complications.  Tonight was one of those nights.  We'd just finished milking and I noticed our youngest son had brought a couple of baseballs and a bat outside, so I offered to pitch a few to him.  Before long, the whole family was in on the fun.  Then a ball went out into the field.

It didn't take me long to realize we were playing "Extreme Farm Baseball".  This isn't a new game, it's just one you don't see played too often.  A game of catch with some batting practice turned wild.  There's not any rules, but there's a few obstacles: 
1) A farm dog who loves to play catch - you need find the ball before he does. 
2) Find the ball before the nosy 500 pound calves get to you. 
3) Hope that when it's your turn to get the ball, it hasn't landed/rolled into something really green. 
4) Hope that the ball doesn't land in the fence row that has poison ivy growing in it.
5) Learn to catch with your hat (because someone forgot the gloves)

 Okay, so the list can go on and on.  This "game" has been played for years under many different circumstances with other obstacles.  On the plus side, I found a lucky 4-leaf clover and made me realize how lucky I was to be able to spend this time with my family.  It was just good old fashioned fun on the farm and I'll keep this memory tucked away for when the boys have grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment