Sunday, November 21, 2010

Never say Never...

Going to the grocery store can sometimes be an adventure.  I'd put off my trip as long as I could and found it necessary to go; no more putting it off...the list was getting pretty long.  More often than not when I'm at the store, I run into someone I know and we catch up on what's been going on in our lives.  As fate would have it, I ran into my high school Ag instructor and his wife.  They are probably two of the nicest people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting; I can say this without someone accusing me of sucking up for a good grade - I've been out of high school a long time.  Some of my favorite high school memories include them.

On about isle 6 or 7, Mr. H stopped me and asked, "I was just wondering, was it you or your sister that didn't want anything to do with the computer when you were in high school?  You remember when we got that brand new one in the Ag room?  Didn't one of you say "I don't want anything to do with that thing?"'.  (This might be a good time to mention that we keep up with each other on Facebook)

Busted.

Yep, that was me.  I even dropped typing in high school because I didn't think I'd ever need it - plus the fact that the typing teacher took points away from me for crossing my feet under my chair.  I didn't take computer class because I was sure I'd never need that either.  Did I say never?  What was I thinking?  Times have changed so much that both of my boys have had computer literacy & keyboarding...now it's required. 

Never in a million years would you have convinced me 20+ years ago that I'd own a computer and need to know how to type.  If you would have said I'd be logging onto the Internet on a regular basis, have a phone that would let me check email and send information, well I'm sure I would have thought you'd lost your mind.   Computers were just catching on when I was in high school and now almost everyone owns one.  When we bought our first computer, I had to ask my then-4th grader to help me get some of it set up.  I didn't even bother to try to set up the gadgets to the last television, I just handed everything over to the boys; same thing when I wanted a ring tone on my last cell phone (a task I've now overcome).  It's not new news in our house that mom is technologically challenged...but I'm getting better.

The computer is an important tool for me these days.  I use it for so many different things on the farm,  promoting dairy, correspondence for our county Farm Bureau, keeping up with friends, tweeting, facebooking, and of course, blogging.  Some days are more of a challenge than others with the computer...especially when I'm having problems with the phone line (yes, we're still on dial-up).

My best advice to you:  Be very careful when you tell someone you're never going to do/use something.  It'll come back to bite you!  I once told my dad (after I graduated high school) that I never wanted to milk cows again...and now I milk cows for a living.  Never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment