Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Dairy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and my ongoing grocery list is getting a little longer.  Everyone in our house has a favorite dish they want for Thanksgiving dinner including several family recipes that have been passed on from family and friends.  Of course there will be the "staples" and a few other non-traditional things, but everyone is usually happy by the time we get the meal finished.

Of course we won't actually get to sit down to our meal until all the chores have been done and the last animal has been tended.  There won't be any grumbling because that's just the way it is on a dairy farm.  Our animals come first.  As our boys have gotten older, they have learned to appreciate the responsibility of living on a dairy farm and the care that is required for our animals and land.

I don't usually get any complaining about "chores first & eat later", but then again, I tend to spoil my family and prepare plenty of food to ensure that there will be leftovers.  A favorite place to visit for recipes is www.midwestdairy.com and www.dairymakessense.com for delicious, healthy dishes.  One of my favorite "anytime" recipes is the http://www.midwestdairy.com/0p28r91/creamy-vanilla-rice-pudding/ that reminds me of something grandma used to make.

We'll get to spend time with family and catch up on stories and ongoings.  If you're getting up to shop the early sales, don't look for me because I'll be up...and in the milk barn.  I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment