Thursday, October 21, 2010

What's your Uniform?

Yesterday I had the privilege of speaking to a group in Kansas City.  To some that doesn't sound like any big deal, but for me it was.  It's not every day that a dairy farmer gets to speak to a group of professionals about dairy farming and social media.  Fortunately for me, downtown traffic wasn't too bad, my GPS knew where I needed to turn and it was a wonderful group (thank you PRSA).

I spent the majority of my day "out of uniform".  Instead of jeans, t-shirt/sweatshirt and barn boots, I donned a more professional look.  Some were surprised to find out that I was a dairy farmer.  The same thing has happened on other occasions when my husband and I go somewhere and "dress up" or when I wear scrubs at the vet clinic.  Just about every job has a uniform or dress code and when I see someone out of "uniform", it sometimes takes me a minute to remember where I know them from.  After a long day yesterday, I will say that I didn't mind changing into my chore clothes when I got home in time to help milk the cows.

The next time you meet someone, don't just assume you know what they do for a living just by the way they dress.  You might just be surprised.  On the other hand, after the luncheon was over yesterday I don't think anyone would have had too much trouble figuring out which vehicle was mine in the parking lot...it was the only farm truck there.  I guess some things are just obvious.

1 comment:

  1. I always feel a little odd when I am in my city clothes. People are getting to see the real me. I still try to where my good clothes or my K-State Livestock Judging belt buckle when I have to throw slack and a dress jacket on.

    Glad you got to talk some consumers and put a face to agriculture!

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete