Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spring Teased & Winter Smacked

We were teased Friday (just 4 days ago) as we enjoyed unseasonably warm temperatures.  I'm talking t-shirt weather in the January - almost unheard of in winter around here.  Saturday was almost as nice and we were relieved when the cow we'd been monitoring had her calf on such a beautiful day.  We started the pre-storm preparations by bringing more hay in for easier access, moved cattle around and I made my much needed trip to the grocery store Sunday evening as temperatures started dropping and the winds picked up.

The vet clinic was unusually busy yesterday with appointments and prescription refills.  I was glad I didn't need anything at the store as I made my way home in the evening; the Wal-Mart parking lot resembled the day after Thanksgiving and the grocery store lots were more like the day before.  I saw a picture of the bread shelf and there wasn't a loaf of bread to be found; I just wonder what the milk shelf was like.  I made it home in time to help with the last of the chores and final details of getting ready for nasty weather.  The other cow we were keeping an eye on had her baby and was tucked away in the barn.

New addition from Friday.  She's a cutie!
I just couldn't make myself post a picture of the winter wonderland we're experiencing right now.  Instead, my mind keeps wondering back to our wonderful Spring-like weather just a couple of days ago.  After 6 hours of sleet and a day filled with snow & high winds, I keep hoping Spring will hurry up and get here.  The weatherman said we could expect "blizzard-like" conditions all day.  Personally, I prefer my blizzard with oreos, strawberry cheesecake, or maybe cookie dough...

No comments:

Post a Comment